Re: Most recent version of mode for interacting with Mathematica?

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg4887] Re: Most recent version of mode for interacting with Mathematica?
  • From: "Brian J. Albright" <albright at>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Oct 1996 00:17:29 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Michael Hucka wrote:
> There is a math.el available from Wolfram's FTP site.  My question is:
> is this the latest and best mathematica mode, or is there a more
> recent version?  The math.el from is the following:
>     ;; LCD Archive Entry:
>     ;; math.el|David Jacobson|jacobson at
>     ;; Mode package for running Mathematica
>     ;; $Date: 1994/06/20 22:08:34 $|$Revision: 1.104 $|
> --
>                                                                        __  __
> Mike Hucka   hucka at  [  \/  ]
>   Ph.D. candidate, computational models of human visual processing     ][\/][
>     Programmer analyst & news admin at U. Michigan Dept. of EECS      [__][__]

Hi Michael.

The version you mention is the most recent I've found.  I use it
exclusively for MMa on the Sun Solaris Workstations here at work, since
the X front end seems to have a penchant for random core dumping.  I did
a bit of hacking to extend font-lock to functions, keywords, and other
syntax.  Also the In[_]:=/Out[_]= fields. I consider myself an emacs
tyro, so it's still somewhat crude and incomplete.  (E.g., I haven't
been able to make efficient regexps smart enough to properly colorize a
"]]" that indicates the end of an array index, and the "]]" that comes
from nested functions like "Sin[Cos[t]]".  You need efficient regexps if
you have font-lock on and you accidentally print a 100000-element vector
to the screen!)  Email me if you want a copy.

If you come across a "colorful" math.el, please let me know.  My version
is still too ugly to be anything but embarrassing.

Brian J. Albright                          |
Department of Physics and Astronomy, UCLA  |  Um, yeah.  Uh....  Oh gee.
albright at                  |     |  [.signature stage fright]