Re: package loading via link

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg4829] Re: package loading via link
  • From: rubin at msu.edu (Paul A. Rubin)
  • Date: Fri, 20 Sep 1996 01:12:46 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <51c4qn$9no at ralph.vnet.net>,
   "Arturas Acus" <acus at itpa.lt> wrote:
->Dear Mathgroupers,
->
->I have problem in packages loading. I start Mathematica kernel on one
->computer (Pentium running Win95 ) and Frontend on another machine (
->486 33 MHz running Win 3.11). Then I connect Frontend  to the Kernel.
->Everything works perfectly, except that I don't know how to load
->packages from 486 computer. When I try to do that, the Kernel looks
->for the package in the Pentium machine, because of it's
->initialization. May be somebody know trick to work around this problem?
->Is this possible at all? I would be very thankful for any help.
->
->       Sincerely,
->                      Arturas Acus
->
->Arturas Acus
->Institute of Theoretical
->Physics and Astronomy
->Gostauto 12, 2600,Vilnius
->Lithuania
->
->
->E-mail: acus at itpa.lt
->   Fax: 370-2-225361
->   Tel: 370-2-612906

I haven't tried this, but I think you can redefine the function
ContextToFilename[] to look on the front-end machine.  For instance, if you
have a package named Algebra`Quaternions`, you could (I think) specify

  ContextToFilename["Algebra`Quaternions`"] =
    "my machine\correct path\file name"

(or something like that).

-- Paul

* Paul A. Rubin                                  Phone: (517) 432-3509   *
* Department of Management                       Fax:   (517) 432-1111   *
* Eli Broad Graduate School of Management        Net:   RUBIN at MSU.EDU    *
* Michigan State University                                              *
* East Lansing, MI  48824-1122  (USA)                                    *
Mathematicians are like Frenchmen:  whenever you say something to them,
they translate it into their own language, and at once it is something
entirely different.                                    J. W. v. GOETHE

==== [MESSAGE SEPARATOR] ====