[Q] Importing graphics INTO Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg6746] [Q] Importing graphics INTO Mathematica
  • From: "L. Dwynn Lafleur" <lafleur at usl.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 02:52:20 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I am using Mathematica 3.0 in Windows 95.  In certain notebooks, I wish
to incorporate graphics in my text comments.  Thus, for example, I would
like to create a BMP or EPS file in a Win59 drawing program (e.g. Paint)
and import it into a text cell in the MMA notebook.

The Windows 95 booklet that came with MMA 3.0 states (p. 49) that
bitmap, metafiles, and EPS files can be opened using the File|Open menu
command.  It also states that you can copy graphics from other apps and
paste them into an MMA notebook.  So far, most attempts have failed.
While "cut and paste" often makes a graphic appear in the notebook, that
graphic disappears when I print out the notebook.

The booklet also says that once the graphic is inserted into the
notebook, it can be converted to InputForm.  However, this almost always
results in graphic commands that produce only an empty graphic frame.

Efforts to use the ReadTIFF package have also failed because of the
inability to set up the required FastBinaryFiles package in Windows 95.

Has anyone succeeded in doing what I am attempting to do?  Thanks for
any comments.

 L. Dwynn Lafleur              Professor of Physics
 lafleur at usl.edu               The University of Southwestern Louisiana
                               Lafayette, Louisiana  (USA)