Internet Mathematica course

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg6773] Internet Mathematica course
  • From: levasseuk at Woods.UML.edu (Ken Levasseur)
  • Date: Fri, 18 Apr 1997 02:37:40 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I will be offering the course "Computer Algebra with Mathematica" this
summer though the UMass Lowell CyberEd program.  It is a 14 week,
project-oriented course that encourages undergraduate research (both
web-based and traditional) and might be just the course you or your
mathematics majors are
looking for if they want a summer course.  Most importantly it is conducted
over the Internet so you can work at it on your own time, at any place.

The formal prerequisites are two semesters of calculus and one semester of
programming, but I usually encourage students to take linear algebra or
discrete mathematics prior to taking this course.

After an immersion into the fundamentals of Mathematica (about one third of
the course), I require students to work on a project in order to have a
context in which to apply the software.  If you are a faculty advisor, you
 would be welcome to supervise the selection of a topic with
your student in order to monitor the quality of their experience.   I would
also be delighted to add any project ideas that you might
have to the project database that I'm building - I just ask that they be
submitted in a form similar to those already posted.

If you know of any students who could benefit from this course, please
refer them to the following URLs:

  UMass Lowell CyberEd (Registration):    http://cybered.uml.edu
  Further information on the course:  http://www.uml.edu/Dept/Math/m419.html
  Ken Levasseur's Web Page     http://www.uml.edu/Dept/Math/LevasseuK.html