Re: Help!!!!!!

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg6949] Re: [mg6911] Help!!!!!!
  • From: seanross at worldnet.att.net
  • Date: Tue, 29 Apr 1997 20:48:28 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Eusebio Guevara Villegas wrote:

> I integrated the following equation: (e^(x^2)) with mathematica, and it
> give me the following result: (Sqrt[Pi] Erfi[x])/2. My question is: What
> the Erfi means...... I consult the kernel help and it is about Gaussian
> Distribution, but I don't know what it is?
>
> Thanks for your help.
> Sinceresly
> Gustavo Lozano Ibarra
> al540562 at campus.maz.itesm.mx

Erfi is defined on 1079 of the mathematica book.  It is, essentially,
the integral you describe.  There is no deeper definition.  It is a
relatively common integral, so people have found it valuable to make
fast-executing functions so you can plot out the error function.  If you
are looking for the conceptual meaning or statistical interpretation of
the error function, then you will need a statistics text.