Re: Saving graphics in Mma 3.0.1

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg8219] Re: Saving graphics in Mma 3.0.1
  • From: David Rosky <Dave.Rosky at badc.ssi1.com>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 21:11:58 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

If I recall, the right click feature was there even in
version 3.0.0.  Like you though, I discovered it accidentally;
I've gotten in trying the right mouse button with all software
as alot of programs support this feature these days.

As far as EPS files go, in general you won't be able to "see"
the contents of an EPS file when you import it into Word or
another similar application.  If you do see a graphic, it is
a "preview" bitmap (usually TIFF) which was embedded in the
EPS file when it was created, not the graphics contained in
the actual postscript code.  It appears that Mathematica
just includes a text preview in EPS files.  On a Windows PC,
the only way to see the contents is to print out the document
to a postscript printer or to print it to a file using a
postscript driver and then view the file with a postscript
interpreter such as GhostView.

Unless you have a special reason to use EPS, such as
transferring the document to a non-Windows platform, it would
probably be easier to work with WMF files as these can be
viewed and manipulated on-screen.

Personally, I haven't used EPS to export graphics from
Mathematica, so I don't know if there are additional problems
beyond the normal inability to directly view the contents.
I've had good results exporting WMF files as long as your
document magnification is set to 100% when you export them.

--Dave
dave.rosky at badc.ssi1.com