User filename entry?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg8016] User filename entry?
  • From: DUNSTAN at laurel.emich.edu (Allyn W. Dunstan)
  • Date: Sat, 2 Aug 1997 22:32:27 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I've developed a small Mathematica notebook that analyzes the contents
of a file (an image; my thanks to those who helped me figure out how
to read it in the 1st place).  I'm now trying to come up with a clever
way of allowing the user to use a 'file selection box' to say which file
to analyze.  This would be something along the lines of what shows up
when you do a "_F_ile _O_pen" in Mathematica or Excel or Word or whatever.

At present I have something like this:

	filename = "c:\\mydir\\filename.ppm"
	fptr = Open[...];

but I'd like to be able to do something like this:

	filename = Browse[...];
or maybe
	Browse[filename, ...];
	fptr = Open[...];

Ideally, I'd like to pop up whatever file selection box is appropriate
for whatever platform is being used.  At present the platform is NT 4.0, but
I'd rather keep things portable.

I've seen user-defined pallettes and the Dialog[] function, but nothing
quite along the lines of what I'm after.  Is there such a thing, or am I
about to become a pioneer?

Thanks!

--
A. W. Dunstan		Unsolicited email subject to a $500 charge/message,
Software Engineer	5kb max per message, due on my receipt of your