NonlinearFit and NonlinearRegress

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg8325] NonlinearFit and NonlinearRegress
  • From: Sean Ross <seanross at worldnet.att.net>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Aug 1997 13:24:40 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I have a data file, which I read in, massage and fit to an equation
using NonlinearRegression/Fit.  I then generate a graph of the original
data, the fitted curve and the value of one of the fit parameters.  My
routine works great, but I would like to optimize it.

NonlinearFit returns an evaluatable expression and works great as the
input to Plot.
NonlinearRegress[...,RegressionReport->BestFitParameters]  returns a
list of transformation rules for the fit parameters and works great to
get the value of a fit parameter.  To measure a fit parameter AND
generate a graph, I seem to need to run BOTH NonlinearFit and
NonlinearRegress, which seems redundant.

Is there any way to get NonlinearFit to give me the actual value of a
fit parameter OR to get NonlinearRegress to give me something easily
Plot - able?