Re: Help with Mathematica Filenames

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg8332] Re: [mg8227] Help with Mathematica Filenames
  • From: seanross at worldnet.att.net
  • Date: Sun, 24 Aug 1997 13:24:48 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

C M Chew wrote:

> I'm not sure if this is the right folder to post to, but I would
> appreciate it
> if anyone out there can help me.
>
> I had Mathematica 3.0 installed in one of my PCs. But one day after I do
> some
> disk management stuff (defrag etc) on that PC, the software stopped
> working.
> After some investigation, I found out that the long file names in the
> Mathematica directory are no longer there. Instead files are named using
>
> DOS 8.3 style, e.g. Mathe~12.exe.
>
> I don't have the install CD with me, so I cannot reinstall. So can any
> kind
> soul send me a list of files in Mathematica 3.0 so I can rename the
> files
> back to their original name. Maybe do a 'dir /s > dir.txt' in the
> Mathematica
> directory and send the 'dir.txt' to me by e-mail. Thanks in advance!

Wouldn't re-installing be easier? Why don't you have the install CD with
you?

When you run scandisk in Win95, de-select the "automatically fix" option
because for some reason, Win95 cares that DOS won't be able to open
certain files because their pathnames are too long.  You have to
manually tell it to ignore these "errors" or it will mess up all your
mathematica directories.