Re:Sorting Eigenvalues/EigenVectors

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg8359] Re:Sorting Eigenvalues/EigenVectors
  • From: "Eric R. Bittner" <bittner at uh.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Aug 1997 02:22:55 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I've lost track of the number of times I have seen the same solution
for sorting eigensystems according to eigenvalue flash across my
mail box.  PLEASE READ THE PREVIOUS POSTINGS BEFORE
MAKING A BROADCAST REPLY.
BETTER YET: REPLY DIRECTLY TO THE SENDER.

(getting off 1 soap box for another)

Given the number of folks who have replied to John Slater's orig.
posting.
It is surprising that no one even
begged  the issue of why  the eigenvectors and eigenvalues  are not
sorted
in the first place?
Why not have the option built into the Eigensystem command, eg.
   {eval,evec}=Eigensystem[A, Sorted->False].
and let Sorted->True be the default?

Please direct all comments to me  (bittner at uh.edu) rather than as a
broadcast message.
I'll summarize and post any useful comments after a week or so.
-Thanks
Eric Bittner

Prof. Eric R. Bittner
Dept. of Chemistry