Re: Print[] and Mathematica 3.0

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg8365] Re: Print[] and Mathematica 3.0
  • From: "Theodore W. Gray" <theodore>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Aug 1997 02:23:02 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

> my Mathematica 3.0 for Win95 places each Print[] line in a separate
> cell. How can I change this behaviour in order to get only one cell
> containing multiple Print[] lines (like in Mathematica 2.2)?

This happens when the default output format type is a typeset
notation.  If you want the old behavior where everything goes into
one cell, choose "OutputForm" from the Default Output Format Type
submenu of the Cell menu.  This will, unfortunately, also effect
normal output cells, and may not be what you want.

The following function sets and restores the format type automatically,
so you can have the print output you want without effecting normal
results:

mergedPrint[e___]:=Module[{ft},
ft=Options[$Output,FormatType][[1,2]];
SetOptions[$Output,FormatType->OutputForm];
Print[e];
SetOptions[$Output,FormatType->ft]]

Just use mergedPrint in place of Print.

Theodore W. Gray