Re: Goofy text behavior

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg8397] Re: [mg8327] Goofy text behavior
  • From: John Fultz <jfultz>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Aug 1997 20:41:37 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

> I have been using MMA as a word processor for math symbols.  Wow, what I
> did to my Abstract Algebra homework!  I just wonder if any of it is
> correct. {;-{)>
>
> I did run into some problems.  The worst thing that I ran into was that
> I would find my cursor was not located at the point where the text was
> appearing.  It would be a few keystrokes off.
:
:
> Steve

The only thing I've ever seen that caused this behavior is an
incomplete installation.  Specifically, there is a file called
MATHFONT.INI which should have been installed into your Windows 95 or
NT directory.  If you'd rather just create the file instead of
re-installing, here's the file's contents:

[FontSubstitutes]
Times=Times New Roman
Helvetica=Arial
Courier=Courier New
Monaco=Courier New

(if you hate having your Windows directory peppered with miscellaneous
files by various application installers, rest assured that I don't like
it either, and this file will go away in a future release)

Make sure to restart the front end after creating this file.  I'm
not aware of any reason why this would be related to the crashing
problems you're having, but it's probably a good idea to make
sure the file is in place and try things again.  If you continue
to have problems, I urge you to contact tech support.

Sincerely,

John Fultz
jfultz at wolfram.com
Front End Group