read files

Dear Mathgroup,
I have to deal with some ASCI files (0.5-1 MB) of real numbers in 47
columns. I don't need all the columns. Playing around with Read, Skip,
SetStreamPosition I could't do it in less than 20 - 60 sec with
Mathematica sucking in up to 100 Megs of virtual memory...
Does any of you have an idea how to read fast with less memory
requirement columns from ASCI files?
Is there a function like SetStreamPosition working with words rather
than characters?
(Pentium 100, 64 MB; Mathematica 3.0 on NT 4.0)
Thanks in advance,
Peter