NonLinear ODE BVP

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg6189] NonLinear ODE BVP
  • From: j-hochstein at memphis.edu (John Hochstein)
  • Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 02:53:12 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I would like to know if Mathematica can solve a nonlinear ODE Boundary
Value Problem that arose from a physical model.

It is a 2nd order equation with values for the 1st derivatives at both
boundaries AND an unknown value for the 2nd derivative evaluated at
one of the boundaries as a term in the equation itself.  I have
obtained solutions in the past using a shooting procedure:  guess a
value for the 2nd, use RK4 to march solution from one boundary to the
other, then iterate until value for 2nd derivative produces correct
boundary value at the far end.

I have no hope of an analytic solution.  I would like to know if
Mathematic 2.2 or 3.0 has numerical tools that can handle this
problem.  Thanks ... I appreciate the help.

John Hochstein
John Hochstein     			j-hochstein at memphis.edu
The University of Memphis		901/678.2257 (TEL)
Mechanical Engineering   	     	901/678.5459 (FAX)
Campus Box 526576       		http://www.me.memphis.edu/
Memphis, TN  38152-6576