Help with Convert to InputForm

I'm using Mathematica 2.2 for Students. After importing a *.bmp
image into a cell, I convert the image via the "Convert to
InputForm" command in the Graph Menu.  The result of this
operation is a list of 1s and 0s preceded by "Raster." The
original file is a greyscale image with values bewtween 0 and
255.  How can I gat output from the "Convert to InputForm"
operation that is both accurate and useable by Mathematica?  Any
advice would be appreciated.
Larry

--
Larry M. Gorski