reply to putting a list to file

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg5898] reply to putting a list to file
  • From: lthompso at s.psych.uiuc.edu (Laura Thompson)
  • Date: Sun, 2 Feb 1997 01:33:51 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Clemens asked me to post this answer:

Hi Laura !
I try to answer your question about putting a list
into a file. So take a list, e.g.

 IN[1]:=l={{1,2},{3,4},{5,6}};

and open a file for writing by assinging a stream to 'str'

 IN[2]:=str=OpenWrite["c:\\testdir\\test.dat"]
 OUT[2]=OutputStream[c:\testdir\test.dat, 17]

(the use of \\ is neccessary under Win311. Perhaps you have
to specify paths in a different way...)
One of the Options of this stream now is

 IN[3]:=Select[Options[str],#[[1]]==FormatType&]
 OUT[3]={FormatType -> InputForm}

which is not what we actually need, because we want to
output something. So we have to set this option to

 IN[4]:=SetOptions[str,FormatType->OutputForm];

Now we can write the following

 IN[5]:=Write[str,TableForm[l]];

After closing the stream

 IN[6]:=Close[str];
 OUT[6]=c:\testdir\test.dat

we can look at the file test.dat :

1   2

3   4

5   6

which is what we desired (hopefully :-))
I hope this helped -
I would appreciate you sending this to the newsgroup
'cause I currently cannot do this ...
Clemens

(-: clemens.frey at uni-bayreuth.de :-)