[Q] Complex Numbers

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg5852] [Q] Complex Numbers
  • From: bogie at montana.com (Steve Moore)
  • Date: Sun, 2 Feb 1997 01:30:17 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

Right now I'm using the demo of Mathematica 3.0 until the real package
arrives.  Thus I don't have any manuals, only the online help, and I
can't find an answer there.

Let's define z = x + Iy

I am trying to break Sec[z] into its Real and its Imaginary parts.  If I
enter:

  Re[Sec[z]]

Mathematica responds with:

  Re[Sec[Iy + x]]

How do I actually see what the Real component of Sec[z] is???

Thanks 10^6,

Steve Moore.