How to use inequalities with Solve?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg5754] How to use inequalities with Solve?
  • From: Michael Hucka <hucka at eecs.umich.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jan 1997 10:42:30 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

OK, this is probably a stupid question, but I just can't seem to get it
right.  I have a hairy expression that I'm trying to get Mathematica to solve
using Solve (or Reduce), and in an effort to reduce the number of results,
I'd like to express that certain variables are greater than zero.  Apparently
I can't use the obvious thing:

    Solve[ expr == 0 && a > 0 && b > 0, x]

Is there some other way to achieve the same effect?  Seems like there *ought*
to be a way.

--
Mike Hucka     hucka at umich.edu     <URL: http://ai.eecs.umich.edu/people/hucka>
 Ph.D. candidate, computational models of human visual processing, U-M AI Lab