- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg5668] Simplifying Ploynomials
- From: Ersek_Ted%PAX1A at mr.nawcad.navy.mil
- Date: Sun, 5 Jan 1997 16:00:42 -0500
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
Dear Math Group, The two polynomials "messy" and "clean" below are equivalentl. messy = c0 + a*c1 - b*c1 + a^2*c2 - 2*a*b*c2 + b^2*c2 clean = c0 + c1(a-b) + c2(a-b)^2 If I get a polynomial like the messy one, how can I get Mma to convert is to the clean polynimial. I don't yet have Version 3..0. Using Collect and Factor in version 2.2 does no good. Maybe FullSimplify in version 3.0 will work. Still I would like to do this without using FullSimplify, because it can take a very long time. Please Help T.E.