Area under Curve

I am new to Mathematica and would really appreciate some pointers from
experienced users.  I have a 2 variable data set of about 50
observations.  I want to plot each obseravtion and calculate the area
under the curve.  How do I do this in Mathematica ?
Are there examples in the Mathematica Book and/or are there separate
application notes etc. available ?
Thanks.
Sankar.