Question on Positive[x]=True

Dear Steve,

I have the following question.  I want to state that a variable
x is positive. On page 1170 of the Third edition of The Mathematica book
it is said that I can do it by making a definition

    Positive[x] = True

However, while trying to do it I get a message :

Set::write: Tag Positive in Positive[x] is Protected

Any suggestions on how one can make variables positive, negative etc?

Thanks a lot.
                  Raya Khanin.
                  University of Edinburgh