A quick question

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg7798] A quick question
  • From: Chen-Ying Huang <huang3 at fas.harvard.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jul 1997 22:41:11 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi there:
  I am a grad student and I am using Mathematica to solve an
international trade model. My question is that since I need to do some
nonlinear optimization, so I used the command "FindMinimum". The problem
is that Mathematica reported it without assigning the value to the
variable. For example, say if I want to FindMinimum of the function
f=x^2, then the result I get is {0,{x->0}. But that is not enough for me
since I want the value 0 to be restored in x, that is I want to have 0
assigned to the variable x after I run the command "FindMinimum" because
I need to use this value of x to do more calculations. Since I need to
repeat this in a loop, I cannot do it manually. Is there someone who can
help me with this? I really appreciate any help and please give me
answers as soon as possible. I really need to do this, otherwise my
advisor will think that I am just shirking.
   Thank you, whoever you are!
Chen-Ying Huang
e-mail: chuang at kuznets.fas.harvard.edu