Getting image data - how?

Hi,

I'm trying to read an image (I'm willing to use nearly any format - JPEG,
GIF, TIFF, even MS BMP).  Thus far, the only one I've found useful is PPM
(it's ASCII so I can parse out the parts I'm interested in).  I can import
images and look at them, but that doesn't let me perform calculations on
individual pixel values.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

--
A. W. Dunstan		Unsolicited email subject to a $500 charge/message,
Software Engineer	5kb max per message, due on my receipt of your