Re: mathematica problem

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg7609] Re: [mg7540] mathematica problem
  • From: Richard Finley <trfin at fiona.umsmed.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 15:53:25 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Stephanie,

I presume the region you are interested in is bounded by the inverse Sine
function which should be called using ArcSin and not Sin^-1....Sin[ x ]^-1
is just 1/Sin[x] and the volume you are talking about would be infinite.  If
you do want the region bounded by ArcSin (you don't say whether the x limits
you are interested in are from 0 to 1 or from -1 to 1, but the principle is
the same) simply use:

Integrate[ Pi ArcSin[x]^2 , { x, 0, 1 } ]

or change the limits to -1 to 1 if you prefer....that should work.  Hope
that helps.
RF