problem of notebook in 16bit X server

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg7700] problem of notebook in 16bit X server
  • From: ici at osk.threewebnet.or.jp (Toshinao Ishii)
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jun 1997 22:17:35 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi.

I have a problem of graphics. All the graphics cannot use
enough color. For example, In Plot3D, the surface is shown
in one color. In DensityPlot, the avilable gray scale looks
only two.

My environment is the following. Mathematica3.0 (kernel and
notebook) running on AIX4.1.5 and the X11 server that displays
Mathematica is running on Linux/Intel (Accerlerated X 1.2) in
16 bit color mode. Here's my X environment.

	Window depth (bits per color): 16
	Visual ID: 0x20 (TrueColor, default visual)
	Colormap ID: 0x24
	Using 65536 colors

In explain more in detail, the Plot3D displays the colorful
surface once but just after drawing finished, the surface is
redrawed and this final drawing results in only in one color.

When I change the X11 server to some others such as those running
on SunOS(8bit color) or IRIX(24bit color), there's no problem.
So I guess it is problem of Linux X11 server or Mathematica on
16bit X11 server.

If you have any info about such problem (of course I want to know
how to solve this problem), please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

$B at P0f=SD>(B Toshinao Ishii
	email:  ici at osk.threewebnet.or.jp (NeXTMail/MIME Welcome)