Need a new type of Hold

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg7499] Need a new type of Hold
  • From: Ersek_Ted%PAX1A at mr.nawcad.navy.mil
  • Date: Sat, 7 Jun 1997 03:48:20 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I could use a new type of Hold that is similar to HoldForm.
The difference is I don't want the new Hold to show up in
the FullForm.

Lets call this new feature HoldTemporary.
The following shows the way I want it to work.

(*-----------------------------------------*)

In[1]:=  foo=HoldTemporary[z+2+d+a+3]
Out[1]=  z+2+d+a+3

In[2]:= foo-d+4
Out[2]= 9+a+z

In[3]:=  HoldTemporary[z+2+d+a+3]//FullForm
Out[3]=  Plus[z,2,d,a,3]

(*------------------------------------------*)
Using HoldForm I have to do the above as follows:

In[4]:=  goo=HoldForm[z+2+d+a+3]
Out[4]=  z+2+d+a+3

In[5]:=  ReleaseHold[goo]-d+4
Out[5]=  9+a+z

The feature I want will make it easy to write Packages that display the
output in a non-standard way, but will not place an extra burden on the
user of the package.

Can HoldTemporary be built with features included in Mma 3.0 ?
I have tried, and can't find a way.

          Ted Ersek
          ersek_ted%pax1a at mr.nawcad.navy.mil