Kronecker Delta

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg7505] Kronecker Delta
  • From: "Arturas Acus" <acus at>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Jun 1997 03:48:36 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Dear Group,

Almost a week I try to find solution to the problem, which seems
rather simple from the first view. But now I am not sure the
solution exist at all. In  particular I wish to implement usual
properties of Kronecker delta function, which manipulates on indices.
Namely, it should replace *all* indices A with index B if KD[A,B]
appears inside Times. Obvious solution:

KD/: Literal[Times[any_,KD[A_,B_]]]:=ReplaceAll[Times[any],A->B]/;Not[

is wrong, because there can be more than two dummy indices. To make
things clear I should say that I am working on the SU(2) manifold,
where summation over index C like:

is natural. Here D_{} stands for Wigner D matrix.
This additional phase (which sometimes appears but sometimes not)
makes things quite complicated. For example at least in one case the
code above is incorrect:

It is clear that the code will leave (-1)^A unchanged. It seems, that
to do correct substitution I always need to know all expression, but
not a part. Of course, I can always define additional function, say
EliminateKD, and apply to all expression. Bu this is bad solution,
because KD appears in various stages of calculations. So I should
continuosly apply the function.

Any ideas?

Arturas Acus
Institute of Theoretical