Outer Question

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg6396] Outer Question
  • From: Alex Tabarrok <00attabarrok at bsu.edu.bsu.edu>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Mar 1997 19:25:07 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I wish to use Outer to generate some very long lists but I am
running out of memory.  Essentially I have something like

LongList=Outer[List,a,b,c,  .....     k,1]

where a is a two or three element list and similary for b,c,...k.  In
total there are about 32,000 possible permutations of these elements.  I
am wondering if I can generate and write these elements one at a time
instead of MMA trying to hold all 32,000 in memory at once (also there
are going to be some 32,000 brackets I will have to get rid of because
of the way Outer returns its output).  Any suggestions?  Thanks.

Alex

Alex Tabarrok
Department of Economics
Ball State University