Re: Using Mathematica-2.2 enhanced on Windows95

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg6410] Re: [mg6398] Using Mathematica-2.2 enhanced on Windows95
  • From: seanross at worldnet.att.net
  • Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 22:16:14 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

wai fun Aaron Lee wrote:

> Hi all,
>         I have a problem in running the Mathematica-2.2 enh on
> win95 platform. I evaluated a very simple notebook (just some
> parametric plots) but the kernel replies out of memory exiting
> and the kernel quit. I went to the Options/Kernel setting and
> found that i couldn't increase the extra memory beyond 12880K
> and in fact i have 64MB ram, also the status bar at the bottom
> of the window does not update the memory usage, it always report
> there is 56700K free. Any ideas?
> -Aaron Lee

Mathematica memory is divided into kernel memory, and system memory.
Kernel memory is where the kernel and data, functions, variables etc.
System is where graphics files and input/output are stored.  One of the
limitations of 2.2 is that you can only have 12M of kernel memory.  The
56700K at the bottom of the screen is for system memory and has nothing
to do with kernel memory. It stays constant in windows 95 because of the
dynamic virtual memory feature of W95.  I am surprised, however, that a
few parametric plots maxed out the 12M limit.  It took me a large
program with around 40 pages of code and a lot of fourier transforms
before I maxed the memory out.
The memory limitations of 2.2 is, for me, the single most important
reason to upgrade to 3.0, which has no such limitations.