help with storage/compression problem

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg6276] help with storage/compression problem
  • From: "Skip Smith" <skipsmith at>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Mar 1997 09:49:21 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

I'm trying to find the best way to take
3000 variables (each variable is true or false)
and store them in the smallest space possible
(without loss of information).

Order is important within the 3000 variables.

I know that I can store 8 true/false variables in one byte with a bit map.

Any ideas? I have thought of possibly using compression algorithms.

email me with ideas. skipsmith at

Thanks in advance...