Re: Generating lists of normally-distributed numbers?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg6318] Re: [mg6265] Generating lists of normally-distributed numbers?
  • From: jost at no-junk-mail.fr (Christian Jost)
  • Date: Sat, 8 Mar 1997 00:26:43 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <5fmlri$26r at smc.vnet.net>, wacb at welchlink.welch.jhu.edu (Bill
Christens-Barry) wrote:

> Can someone provide a simple example of how a list of N elements can be
> generated, with the list elements being normally distibuted?  I'd like to
> include random seeding so I can generate an ensemble of such lists.
>
> Are there general tools in Mma 3.0 for generating lsits with various
> statistics?  How do I go about searching for sites where these kinds of
> tools can be found?

Yes, check out your standard add-on packages, eg.
Statistics`ContinuousDistributions`

In[2]:=
<<Statistics`ContinuousDistributions`

In[3]:=
Random[NormalDistribution[5,1]]

Out[3]=
5.2894

In[4]:=
RandomArray[NormalDistribution[5,1],5]

Out[4]=
{5.14774,4.39605,4.25201,6.28701,4.64452}

Hth, Christian.

Christian Jost, Université Paris-Sud XI, Orsay, France

Please don't send any junk mail or advertisements. For personal mail please send to: Christian.Jost at epc.u-psud.fr