Re: Generating lists of normally-distributed numbers?

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg6298] Re: [mg6265] Generating lists of normally-distributed numbers?
  • From: Luci Ellis <elisha at>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Mar 1997 00:26:20 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

I haven't got Mma open at the moment so I might have some names a bit
wrong. Essentially, you need to load in the continuous distributions

Needs["Statistics`ContinuousDistributions"]   (* might need a ` at the end?*)

SeedRandom[2]   (* or some other integer *)
(* or for a random seeding, just re-evaluate SeedRandom[] without an argument.
normaltable = Table[Random[NormalDistribution[mu,sigma2],{N}]
(* where N is actually an integer, and mu, sigma2 are real.  *)

You don't need to search for sites, it's all part of the standard packages.
If you don't have the book and / or haven't installed all the
documentation, try popping in the original CD and looking up the Help
browser. There's a bunch of other distributions there too, like LogNormals,
Betas, Poissons, F, t, Chi, etc.

Hope this helps.

>Can someone provide a simple example of how a list of N elements can be
>generated, with the list elements being normally distibuted?  I'd like to
>include random seeding so I can generate an ensemble of such lists.
>Are there general tools in Mma 3.0 for generating lsits with various
>statistics?  How do I go about searching for sites where these kinds of
>tools can be found?
>Bill Christens-Barry
>wacb at

Luci Ellis:  elisha at