- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg7128] Complete Factorization?
- From: skipper at worldnet.att.net (Thomas Skipper)
- Date: Sun, 11 May 1997 02:57:25 -0400 (EDT)
- Organization: AT&T WorldNet Services
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
Does anyone know why MMA would not be able to completely factor this: 2xy-4y^2? MMA will only factor out the 2, not the reamaining y, and consistently leaves only 2(xy-2y^2) Is there a reason why it won't completely factor this to 2y(x-2y)? The MMA book says that "Factor" performs a "complete" factorization, but obviously that is not the case. Iguess the main question is, will MMA completely factor a polynomial or not, and if so, what is the command that WILL perform a complete factorization?