Color postscript on win95

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg7132] Color postscript on win95
  • From: seanross at worldnet.att.net
  • Date: Mon, 12 May 1997 01:55:36 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I am having a bizarre printing problem with mathematica 3.0 on windows
95.  It seems to have been triggered by installing a new printer.  If
anyone has observed similar problems or have a greater understanding of
windows95 architecture, please reply to me or wolfram technical support.

Here is the situation:

Computer A:  Mathematica for students 3.0 and 2.2.1.  Windows 95
Pentium.

Computer B:  Mathematica Professional 3.0 and student 2.2.1.  Windows 95
pentium.

Printer A: HP550C
Printer B: Epson Stylus Color 800

Symptom:  Mathematica 3.0
	3-D postscript graphics print with slightly odd colors.
	Text and 2-D postscript graphics print black only.
	Bitmap graphics print with proper colors.

	  Mathematica 2.2.1
	All graphics and text print as on the screen.

	  All other programs including Microsoft Office applications print
proper color.  I have no other postscript native programs than
mathemtica.  I also have no other applications besides mathematica that
were written for windows 95; they are all windows 3.1 programs running
under win95.

History of problem:
Begin with Printer A on Computer A working fine.
Install Printer B on Computer A.  Symptom begins.
Install Printer A on computer B.  Symptom begins.
Remove Printer A from computer B and put it back on Computer A, where it
worked 2 days ago.  Shows same symptom.  I now cannot get proper color
output from mathematica on any machine I have access to.

Run mathematica from CD-ROM: Shows same symptom.
Complete re-install of mathematica 3.0:  Shows same symptom.

Because mathematica 2.2.1 prints fine, I do not believe this has
anything to do with the printer drivers.  Two different printer cables
were used, so I do not believe it is the cable.
Because running from CD-ROM or re-install shows same symptom, I do not
believe this is a mathematica file becoming corrupt.

Rather, I think we are looking at the interaction between mathematica
and a windows 95 resource that gets updated whenever the "install new
printer" subroutine is accessed.

Any ideas?