the Union of real numbers

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg7004] the Union of real numbers
  • From: rustybel at (Russell Towle)
  • Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 14:48:50 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

I am trying to apply the Union function to a list of real numbers, in which
many duplicates occur.  However, small differences between the numbers
cause some of the duplicates to be retained instead of discarded.

Suppose the list of real numbers is called k, my present work-around is as

Union [ Rationalize [ k, 10^-6 ] ].

This does discard the duplicates.  Is there a better method?

Russell Towle
Giant Gap Press:  books on California history, digital topographic maps
P.O. Box 141
Dutch Flat, California 95714
Voice:  (916) 389-2872
e-mail:  rustybel at