Re: Plot options broken in Mathematica version 3.01 for Windows

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg7164] Re: [mg7131] Plot options broken in Mathematica version 3.01 for Windows
  • From: seanross at worldnet.att.net
  • Date: Tue, 13 May 1997 01:58:03 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
> >Date sent:          Mon, 5 May 1997 10:12:20 -0800
> >Subject: [mg7164]              Plot options broken in version 3.01 for Windows
>
> In our copy of Mathematica 3.01 for windows (under both winnt4.0
> and win95), most of the standard options for the Plot[] function
> don't seem to work. For example, after loading the Graphics` package,
> attempting to generate LogLogPlots produce plots with only one axis
> drawn and with no tick marks shown etc. Also, the plot seems to have
> a different colored background (even though no color specifications
> are given). This color cannot be removed by Format->Background
> Color->None.
>
> Similar behavior occurs with the ordinary Plot[] (without any
> packages loaded) when non-default options are given to Ticks, Axes,
> and other related option fields (even the examples in Section 2.9.5
> of the Mathematica book cannot be reproduced by the kernel).
>
> Our license number is ------, $CreationDate is March 10, 1997.
>
> thanks for a prompt reply (and hopefully a fix)
>
> Ulvi Yurtsever
> Senior Research Scientist
> Dynamics Technology, Inc.
> 21311 Hawthorne Blvd., Suite 300
> Torrance, CA 90503-5610
> (310) 543-5433, FAX: (310) 543-2117
> email: uyurtsever at dynatec.com
>
> If anyone has any similar experience, I will appreciate hearing from
> them.
>
> As a related note: I have sent the above message to
> support at wolfram.com twice this week, and it has been completely
> ignored (apart from the automatic acknowledgements) so far.  After
> spending $1500 on a software package with a relatively small
> (supported) user base, receiving no support for it (as far as I can
> understand the "90 day free economy service" to registered users means
> not much more than "you can browse our web site for free") is
> outrageous.
>
> This leaves a very bad taste.
>
> Ulvi Yurtsever
> Senior Research Scientist
> Dynamics Technology, Inc.
> 21311 Hawthorne Blvd., Suite 300
> Torrance, CA 90503-5610
> (310) 543-5433, FAX: (310) 543-2117
> email: uyurtsever at dynatec.com

I talked to tech support the other day.  They are a little embarrassed
by the current backlog of requests they have.  They haven't forgotten
you (or me), but they probably aren't going to respond in a timely
fashion.  Unfortunately, as the users have figured out, Mma 3.0 was not
tested as much as we would have liked before release.  This is going to
have an effect on tech support.  I certainly agree that if Wolfram does
not address this issue quickly, they are going to have a lot of
difficulty breaking out of academia and in to the real world where
people don't have weeks to wait for an answer.  In saying this, I am
only voicing my view. I am not affiliated with Wolfram.

    In the mean time, might I suggest a manual "Log Plot" by simply
plotting the Log of the function desired and manually setting the tick
marks where you want them.  I know it is a pain, but it may be faster
than waiting until the bug is fixed.
-OR-
A more drastic approach would be to examine the actual code in
LogLogPlot and see which core function in mathematica it is based on.
It is probably just based on Plot.  If Plot doesn't have the problem,
but LogLogPlot does, try and find where the option has been permanently
replaced in the code.
-OR-
If you have access to a 2.2 version, try renaming the 2.2 package file
to the 3.0 name and seeing if that works any better.