Re: Re: GUI for Mma

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg7214] Re: [mg7176] Re: GUI for Mma
  • From: Fabian Haas <b5hafa at rz.uni-jena.de>
  • Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 02:30:58 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,
I might not be visionary enough or my mental structure might be too simple, but I would like to have Mathematica as it is: a primarily algebraic system with some layout capabilities.

The emphasis should still be kept on the mathematics because, as mentioned before there are already systems like Delphi, C,C++ or Visual Basic to make buttons and programmes.
And if I wanted to do that I would choose those and not Mathematica. However, they dont offer things like Solve, DSolve or so with an easy and good visualization of the data.
Expanding Mathematica in the suggested direction would increase its size and memory demand even more, and I am afraid even the number of problems. As somebody before said, fix those instead of exanding into fields which are already held by others.

Certainly, there is still space for quite some improvement such as stand alone programmes, digitizing, and, even more important, interactive 3D graphics. The current ViewPoint approach is a pain in the arse.

Cheers
Fabian

Dipl.Biol. Fabian Haas, MPhil
Institut für Spezielle Zoologie und Evolutionsbiologie
Erbertstr. 1
D-07743 Jena
Deutschland / Germany
TEL  ++ 49 361 630 424