Re:

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg6976] Re:
  • From: seanross at worldnet.att.net
  • Date: Wed, 30 Apr 1997 22:26:15 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

#1:  Mathematica is a high level programming language.  It can do
anything that can be done in Fortran or C as far as number crunching
goes.  So the answer to any question like "Can I do .... with
mathematica?" is yes.  As far as it being possible with mathematica or
another program: be courageous!  You don't need to look all over the
world for some canned routine to solve a problem for you.  Learn a
programming language (or several) and write your own!

#2:  It turns out that a pre-written routine is available in
Mathematica for what you want.  The command Fit uses least squares
fitting and will take multidimensional basis functions.  I have done
fits with Sqrt[x^2 +y^2]and Exp[-x^2-y^2] to various powers.