Mathematica 3 notebook ButtonBoxes with no ButtonFrames?

Mathematica 3 notebooks for Unix / X environment

I would like to produce button boxes with no frames.  The book says
that the ButtonFrame option to ButtonBox has "Hyperlink" as one
possible value.  This sounded promising, but when I try using it, I
get an "invalid option" error. Any suggestions of how to accomplish my
goal?

Bob Young
SciComp Inc
5806 Mesa, Suite 250