RE: Differentiating functions of vectors

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg9449] RE: [mg9424] Differentiating functions of vectors
  • From: jmthomas <jmthomas at cybercable.tm.fr>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Nov 1997 02:39:58 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Your function is
 f[ a_ , b_ ] := a . b
but I need to know the kind of data structure that a and b refer to: are
= they vectors (like the dot suggests)? If it is the case,
differentiating = with respect to a certain argument implies in fact
tensor analysis, = which is not present as a standard routine set in
mathematica. See = MathTensor, references are given to it in wolfram
Research site. If a and b are just reals or complexes, you can use:
op1=Derivative[1,0][#]&
op2=Derivative[0,1][#]&
If f[a_,b_]=2a+b you will get
op1[f]=2&