Re: Printing difficulties in 3.0.0

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg9454] Re: Printing difficulties in 3.0.0
  • From: "P.J. Hinton" <paulh>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Nov 1997 02:40:02 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Ben Johnson wrote:

> All right, here's a problem I've been repeatedly running into -
>
> I'm running 3.0.0 for Students on a Windows95 system.  I'm connected to
> a HP LaserJet 4Si over a LAN.  Every time I attempt to print a
> notebook,  the "calculating page breaks" dialog pops up, it starts
> working away, and  locks up cold somewhere around 80-90% complete.  I
> can't use Alt-. to  abort, so I have to give Mathematica the old
> Ctrl-Alt-Del to shut it  down.  I've tried printing to a file...no
> dice.  I've even tried  exporting a TeX file to print on a Unix system.
> The TeX processor locks  up too.

Let's check the routine questions first:

1) Can you print documents from other applications to this networked
   printer?

2) Does the freeze occur with ANY Mathematica notebook of any size
   or is it just one particular notebook?

3) When you attempt to print to a file, you say, "no dice."  Does
   this mean you get a hang similar to when you attempt to print
   to the printer?  Does a file of any size get created by the
   "print to a file" approach?

4) Have you checked to see if you have the correct drivers for
   the printer installed?  If so, how old are they?  Have you
   checked HP's website to see if there are more recent versions
   that you can download?

If these questions all check out, let me know.

--
P.J. Hinton
Mathematica Programming Group           paulh at wolfram.com Wolfram