Re: [Q] gnuplot features in Mathematica 3.x

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg9599] Re: [Q] gnuplot features in Mathematica 3.x
  • From: sergio at scisun.sci.ccny.cuny.edu (Sergio Rojas)
  • Date: Thu, 13 Nov 1997 23:24:10 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

   an example (found at the end of the package):

Needs["Graphics`MultipleListPlot`"]
data1 = Table[{x, BesselJ[0, x]}, {x,0,10,0.8}]; data2 = Table[{x,
BesselY[0, x]}, {x,0.1,10,0.8}];

sym1 = PlotSymbol[Box, 2];
sym2 = PlotSymbol[Triangle, Filled -> False]; MultipleListPlot[data1,
data2,
    SymbolShape -> {sym1, sym2},
    PlotJoined -> True]

MultipleListPlot[data1, data2,
    PlotJoined -> True,
    PlotLegend -> {"Data 1", "Data 2"},
    LegendShadow -> {0.02,-0.02},
    LegendPosition -> {-2,-0.5}]

       By the way, Gnuplot is much better documented than Mathematica.
Onece one  go through gnuplot demos, don't need to spend too much time
in doing a nice plot and put them in a Latex document.

Sergio
E-mail: sergio at scisun.sci.ccny.cuny.edu

Leonid Razoumov (lrazoumo at balu.qualcomm.com) wrote:
: Hi Everyone,

: there are two nice GNUplot features which I miss in Mathematica.

: 1). Gnuplot allows to combine different line-styles with different
:     point-styles, thus making a large number of distinct line-styles
:     available for several curves on one plot. E.g. --x---x---x---x
:     is a style made of a line ------ and points "x   x   x".

: 2). For each curve on a plot GNUplot puts in the upper right corner a
:     label of the form "---- name",  where "----" is a sample of actual
:     line style  the reffered curve and "name" is a user-defined tag.

: I am not yet very experienced with Mathematica, therefore I hope there
: is a way in Mathematica 3.0 to achieve the same effects but I do not
: know how.

: Any suggestions/tips/recommendations are HIGHLY appreciated.

: Thank you in advance for your time,
: Leo