Re: plot varuation

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg9625] Re: plot varuation
  • From: tburton at cts.com (Tom Burton)
  • Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 21:40:04 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I had recommended repeated application of FindRoot to track a root as
the parameter x varied. The fact that I had blasted right through a
bifurcation without comment has left me a little guilty.

Just in case there is any doubt out there: Simple root-tracking
algorithms like one I recommended behave badly at bifurcations. In the
case I presented, the algorithm chose the upper real branch as it
emerged to the right from the bifurcation. If you somehow find the
other real branch and track left, the algorithm will get lost at the
bifurcation and wander off.

It is possible to write more sophisticated tracking algorithms, but in
this case I prefer to make a few contour plots of the real and
imaginary parts of

f[u] - lambda^(-2(gamma-1)/(gamma+1))*g[x]

versus u = (uR+I uI) at several values of x and then let my own built-in
image processor do the hard work. And if you need only real solutions,
then graphical solutions such as Paul Abbott's are safer and more
intuitive.
Tom Burton