Re: How do I tell Mathematica than n is an integer?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg9614] Re: How do I tell Mathematica than n is an integer?
  • From: Paul Abbott <paul at physics.uwa.edu.au>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 21:39:55 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

michael a. morrison wrote:

> How do you tell Mathematica within a notebook session that a variable n
> is a positive integer in such a way that a command defined in a package
> such as
>     waveFunction[n_Integer?Positive] :=  will execute rather than
> returning waveFunction[n] unevaluated. Setting
>         Integer[n] ^= True;
>         Postive[n] ^= True;
> in the notebook has no effect whatsoever on the failure of Mathematica
> to evaluate waveFunction[n].

The assignment

	In[1]:= waveFunction[n_Integer?Positive]:=what

checks the Head of n

	In[2]:= Head[n]
	Out[2]= Symbol

which has to be an Integer, and then applies the Positive test. What you
want to do, I think, is

	In[3]:= IntegerQ[n] ^= True;

	In[4]:= Positive[n] ^= True;

	In[5]:= ?n

	"Global`n"
	IntegerQ[n] ^= True
	Positive[n] ^= True

then define a test for symbols with assigned properties:

	In[6]:= test[n_] := IntegerQ[n] && Positive[n]

	In[7]:= test[n]
	Out[7]= True

Your function then reads

	In[8]:= waveFunction[n_?test] := blah

	In[9]:= waveFunction[n]
	Out[9]= blah

	In[10]:= waveFunction[m]
	Out[10]= waveFunction[m]

Cheers,
	Paul

The University of Western Australia            Nedlands WA  6907
mailto:paul at physics.uwa.edu.au  AUSTRALIA
http://www.pd.uwa.edu.au/~paul

            God IS a weakly left-handed dice player