Re: Book recommendation for Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg9635] Re: Book recommendation for Mathematica
  • From: Mathematicaa at kmtech.ie (Dr. Mícheál Mac an Airchinnigh)
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 19:49:43 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <64j3o3$6eq at smc.vnet.net>, gaylord at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (richard
j. gaylord) wrote:

>In article <64fh6e$c6s$5 at dragonfly.wolfram.com>, "Sherman.Reed"
><sherman.reed at worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>

>> 3. Mathematica is not for the faint hearted, it a serious and
>> complicated computer based algebra tool for engineers and scientists
>> who want  to push the frontier, and are willing to pay the price for
>> success.
>
>you shouldn't generalize like that; it unnecessarily scares off people.
>
>it may have been hard for you to master, but for alot of other people
>it's easy to learn to use [my students learn to write good programs in
>mathematica in a month's time once they are forbidden to use procedural
>style].

---
I would like to support Richard's view. I have first year
students in an Information and Communications Technology course
*using* Mathematica "to do math by computer" in their Mathematics
Course (which is largely Discrete Math).

Admittedly, it does take time for them to get used to the syntax and
conventions. But once that hurdle is mastered then one gets incredible
leverage in what can be done and learnt.

Like Richard we emphasize *use* of Mathematica; any "programming" that
is done is largely in the definition of functions.

Finally, for information, Mathematica is used to complement the main
course text by Norman Biggs, Discrete Mathematics, Oxford University
Press, 1989.

---
Regards, M. Mac an Airchinnigh

--
[[chop]] denotes the action of the free monoid removal endomorphism =