Re : Convert Default Input FprmatType to TraditionalForm

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg9328] Re : Convert Default Input FprmatType to TraditionalForm
  • From: Chee <s14985 at sp.ac.sg>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Nov 1997 03:33:18 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi Mathematica club members,

It seems that it is not possible to coerce Mathematica's 2D typeset
input into TraditionalForm using the menu selection

Cell->Convert Default Input FormatType->TraditionalForm

When I choose the above menu selection and type

Integrate[tan(x),x]

Mathematica understands that the input is in TraditionForm and outputs
the correct answer. I do not consider the above to be really in
traditional mathematical notation. So I replace the Integrate[...,x]
with the 2D typeset notation (Leibnitz's elongated S). This time,
however, Mathematica regards the input as in StandardForm (the jagged
line in the cell bracket has disappeared-but the above menu selection
has not changed) and treats tan(x) as a symbol tan multiplied by x. So
the output is different. Of course if I enter the input in StandardForm
using 2D typeset notation and then convert it to TraditionalForm,
Mathematica will return the correct answer. How do I enter 2D typeset
notation and have it recognized as TraditionalForm from the outset? It
is also quite possible that I am missing something here. I am using
Mathematica 3.0.0. Your kind assistance and advice will be much
appreciated.

Thanks
Chee

Thanks