Re: Frontend bug

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg9721] Re: Frontend bug
  • From: Josip Loncaric <josip at icase.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 00:06:16 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Thomas Blume wrote:

> > Lonnell Peters wrote:
> > >
> > > I am having a problem with my front end for Mathematica 3.0. When I
> > > first open  up a notebook, and then open up another window from this
> > > notebook (ie. the help  browser or the style sheet editor), my notebook
> > > will freeze up. I can no longer  enter input into it. The only way I
> > > can continue is to open a new notebook, and  close up the frozen one.
> > > Does anybody know anything about this? I'm using  Mathematica on RedHat
> > > Linux 4.2 (kernel version 2.0.30). Thanks.
>
> Hi,
>
> I notice the same annoying behaviour here. I have to use the Windows
> pull-down from the menu bar to reselect the window and to give focus
> back to it.
>
>         Thomas

I have the same problem with Mathematica 3.01 front end for Suns
(Solaris).  The notebook refuses to accept shift-return command to
evaluate input, and the only way I know to get it going again is to use
the menu command "Kernel>Evaluation>Evaluate Cells".

Also, this X-windows based front end often has problems with mouse
selection of the character insertion point (and generates messages
about catching internal errors).  Using keyboard arrow keys avoids this
problem.

Josip

--
Dr. Josip Loncaric, Senior Staff Scientist ICASE, M/S 403, NASA Langley
Research Center, Hampton, VA 23681-0001 Phone: (757) 864-2192