Re: sqrt[x^2]

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg9779] Re: sqrt[x^2]
  • From: hans.steffani at e-technik.tu-chemnitz.de (Hans Steffani)
  • Date: Fri, 28 Nov 1997 05:34:57 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Zen at archer.com (ZenArcher) writes:

>Well I know this is really elementary, but I just don't understand this
>result:
>sqrt[x^2]=sqrt[x^2]
>sqrt[4^2]=4
>Why doesn't Mathematica tell me that the Square Root of x^2 is x, but it

This is because Sqrt[x^2] is not always x. Take x=-2 as an example
where Sqrt[(-2)^2] evaluates to 2.

>will tell me that the square root of 4^2 is 4?

Because that's correct. Maybe you look for PowerExpand[] but than you
have to know what you are doing to avoid wrong results.

h.f.s.
[fup,cc]
--
Hans Friedrich Steffani
Institut fuer Elektrische Maschinen und Antriebe, TU Chemnitz
mailto:hans.steffani at e-technik.tu-chemnitz.de
http://www.tu-chemnitz.de/~hfst/