Re: Mathematica: front-end display problems under OS8

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg9823] Re: Mathematica: front-end display problems under OS8
  • From: siegman at ee.stanford.edu (AES)
  • Date: Fri, 28 Nov 1997 05:35:37 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

NOHAMcrose at c2.telstra-mm.net.au (Colin Rose) writes:

*       Front-end display problems under OS8:  *       Under 0S8, text
in Mathematica v3 goes wonky after creating *       a Plot so that it
does not match up with the cursor,

   I repeatedly see exactly the same thing -- the real "insertion point"

   (or whatever you want to call it) is not where the visible cursor
line is.

   Position the cursor and type an insert -- and the typing goes in
somewhere
   else.  Double-click on a long word, and if you're still over part of
the word,
   you'll get a highlighted area as long as the word, but laterally
displaced
   from it.

   As an addendum, I'm not as critical as Mr. Rose of Mathematica -- but
   I would say to any WRI people reading this, "Come on, guys -- it is
   LONG PAST TIME to get out a detailed, accurate, complete and useful
   manual or handbook to the Mathematica front end for Mac users (and
   PC users also)!!!"

   Mathematica is great; but the front end, and output formatting
(styles, etc),
   are messy, complex, and seriously undocumented; and it's time to
   respond to that need.