Re: Help - Mathematica bombs out on loading <<Calculus`LaplaceTransform`

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg9331] Re: Help - Mathematica bombs out on loading <<Calculus`LaplaceTransform`
  • From: "P.J. Hinton" <paulh>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Nov 1997 03:33:20 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

jmthomas wrote:

> I should recommend you to use NT4 instead of W95: NT is safer, and
> as far as you have 64M of RAM, should be somewhat faster.

Thank you for the recommendation, but the issue of using Windows NT or
Windows 95 is not relevant here.

Under Mathematica 3.0 for Windows, the kernel is actually split  into
two components -- a small "loader" program and a larger dynamic link
library (mathdll.dll) which contains the kernel's functions.  The
loader handles mostly system-specific routines. There are two different
loaders -- MATH.EXE, which runs the  kernel from a console and
MathKernel.exe, which runs as an  actual Windows-type program.

There is a problem with the MathKernel.exe loader which causes the
kernel to quickly drop out of a calculation with an  "Out of Memory.
Exiting" error message.  This problem has been addressed, and a new
MathKernel.exe loader program is available from the support FTP site.
This is what I was pointing out to the user.

He has since replied to me that this was indeed the problem he was
encountering, and the new loader made the problem go away.

--
P.J. Hinton
Mathematica Programming Group           paulh at wolfram.com Wolfram